Thursday, February 27, 2014

Is Wrestling "For me"?

(Article by A. McAlpine)

I wasn't sure if wrestling was 'for me'... I didn't think I had the body type, the knowledge, or the background to be a wrestler... but I decided to give it a try and experienced a few surprises.



One of the goals of Tri-City Training is to “bring wrestling to everyone” … and I quickly discovered that this great sport truly can be enjoyed by everyone.  When I began, I didn't know any technique, didn't know rules, and had only ever watched a few matches in my life.  I was terrified about what to expect in what I knew would be a tough practice.  Although it was challenging and I was asked to try things I had never done before, I ‘jumped in’ with an open mind, worked hard during the practice, had a lot of fun, and ended the night with a great sense of pride at having faced a challenge.  After the first experience with wrestling, I couldn’t stay away.

I was shocked at the incredible benefits offered through wrestling.  I knew there would be some transferable skills... and that the fitness would be intense, but I had no idea how greatly the sport would impact me in such a positive way.  Within only a few weeks I began to notice some of the benefits.  Wrestling can impact balance, coordination, flexibility, stability and control, movement, strategy, endurance, and so much more.  It can provide such an incredible foundation for other sports and be a platform for improved fitness in any person.

It wasn’t long before my 6 year old daughter expressed an interest in wrestling and she started soon after I did.  Kids can benefit immensely from the skills that are learned and the elements of self-confidence that develop through wrestling.  She also thoroughly enjoys the social elements and it is something she looks forward to each week.

I have no regrets about trying something new!  The coaches of Tri-City Wrestling have taught me to work hard(er), gain confidence, and appreciate the uniqueness of my body and my abilities.  

The cool thing about wrestling is that anyone can learn... kids, adults, women, athletes, non-athletes...anyone can benefit from wrestling.  

Dan Gable once said, "More enduringly than any other sport, wrestling teaches self-control and pride. Some have wrestled without great skill - none have wrestled without pride." Although I still have a long way to go...I feel a sense of pride for jumping into it....being willing to work hard, face fears, make mistakes, and have experienced some incredible results.

One of my coaches often says, "Nothing changes if nothing changes."  You can begin to experience change and positive benefits in your life when you take the first steps towards your goals.  There will always be a reason (excuse) not to get started.  It feels incredible when you do...


No comments:

Post a Comment